Thursday 6 June 2019

Don’t be scared of what you don’t already know.


I experienced quite variety of reactions when I told people I was going to Ghana. I was expecting that; therefore, I didn’t actually tell anybody about it until I had received the travel grant and signed the work contract. Some were really excited, some were confused and immediately asked why on earth I would like to go to Ghana, and then there were people who started telling me how dangerous it is and that if I reeeeeaally go I have to be very careful. And, FYI, these people had never been to Ghana, or actually anywhere in Africa. I got loads of travel and safety tips from people who, sorry to be blatant, had no idea what they were talking about. Luckily, majority of the reactions I encountered were positive! 





I understand that unknown is scary, and that it is normal to be worried about your loved ones. But I also find it very annoying when people let stereotypes affect their worldview so strongly.
Country in Africa must be dangerous, like this quite random person told me, that Ghana is extremely dangerous place to be. I asked this person to tell me one fact about Ghana. Got silence as response. This person didn’t even know the capital of Ghana, or whereabouts Ghana is in Africa. But this person was 100% sure that Ghana is dangerous.


 




I dare to claim that I have been to more dangerous places than Ghana. At least, I have travelled to places where I have (usually by accident) ended up in very dodgy areas I should not have gone to. But those are stories for some other time. The thing is, that basically any country can be dangerous if the person travelling in that specific country is not equipped with common sense and knowledge about the country and its different areas. So, as simple as that, figure out some basic facts and tips before going, and be sensible.  Like, figure out where to go, where not to go, where one can go but should be a bit more cautious at, where you shouldn’t go after dark, where you shouldn’t go during the weekend, how to behave, how to handle different situations in different cultures, how to talk to people and how to dress and so on. 
“Is there something specific one should pay more attention to – lots of pocket pickers in some area, or some particular way scammers try to lure tourists in difficult situations? This bar has dodgy reputation, maybe shouldn’t go there? This is reliable taxi company, use that one.” You know, things like that. Very simple facts that can easily be found.
Of course, things can still happen – no matter how prepared one is, things may and most probably will go wrong (at some level) at some point. But this can happen anywhere, even in the countries that are perceived to be “very safe to travel to”.

I guess my point is, that it is frustrating when people don’t even try to find out actual information about things, but just assume something and declare these assumptions as a fact. If you have a smartphone and internet connection, it does not take long to google a bit about country, and one can learn lots in few minutes. Or by just asking around, by being open-minded. Don’t assume, rather ask!

 










I have been in Ghana for over a month now (EEEK! Time is going too fast), and I have felt safe here. I have learned what to do, what not to do and where obroni (white) girl can go and when.  If I go out later in the night, I don’t go alone, and if I’m travelling home from my weekend trips, I leave early enough so that I’m home before it’s pitch black out there. Sun sets around 6pm, so for example if I’m coming home from a trip on Sunday, I aim to be at home latest around 6.30pm.
People here are very helpful, and as obroni I stand out in the crowd quite clearly. This is good, but also sometimes slightly negative thing. Good, since everybody’s assuming I have no idea where to go, which makes my life easy. People are always pointing out which trotro goes where, taxi’s and trotros are stopping and asking whether I need a ride or not, people offer to walk me to my destination so that I find the right taxi station, restaurant, hotel and so on.
Naturally, some of these people have ulterior motives, and they want for example money, my number, address and marry me. Actually, I haven’t been asked for money that often, maybe once or twice. 
But, a lot of men come to talk to me, very quickly either asking for my number and my address or whether I could marry them or not. That’s why I wear a wedding ring here (so if you see me wearing it, I am not engaged or married FYI). It really helps a lot. 
I mean, sometimes it’s quite funny when people come to ask you to give your number/marry them. Like the other day, I was coming back home from Busua, and I was sitting in a trotro waiting for it to fill up. One older man came to talk to me, saying that his friend, very young-looking boy, was too shy to ask me for my number so he was asking for him. Everybody in the trotro was following this situation, and when I lifted my left hand and showed the ring, they all went “aww nooo, obroni is married!”. Even the trotro driver was very disappointed. But it was somehow so funny situation, like a soap opera scene with lots of eyes following how it develops, and when they realized that “I’m married”, it was mix of disappointment and amusement -  we all had a good laugh. Also, a new man entered the trotro at some point of the journey and immediately commented something about me and how obroni should marry the young boy, but before I had chance to answer, the driver already shook his head and laughed that unfortunately this obroni is married. The man was laughing and asking, if I’m sure I have a good husband and don’t want to change him for the young boy, since “Ghanaian men are really good husbands”.

Anyway, so far I have got the feeling that Ghana is safe country to be and travel at. For example, I have had no issues when traveling somewhere alone. You just must know what you are doing and where you are going, and make sure not to travel (at least not alone) at night-time. 








No comments:

Post a Comment